Do Not Be So Quick To Judge

Many moons ago, I penned an article about how I felt many muslim Malays (one of the three main races in Malaysia) are very quick to judge and condemn all Jews as laknatullah (damned by god).  Just to reiterate what I said in my aforementioned article, I vehemently abhor this behaviour.  Also, this is most definitely not the view held by the majority of muslim Malays, but rather those of a troublingly large minority.  If you wish to read my entire article, you may find it here.

Back to what I wanted to say; this article will be a sort of extension of my aforementioned article.  It is just something I came across, and wanted to share.

As some of you may know, the geopolitical situation between Israel and Palestine has been littered with controversies, humane atrocities, harsh accusations, and at times, violence.  I just wish that more of my fellow muslim Malays weren't so quick to judge all Israelis and/or Israeli companies as 'evil'.  An excellent example is this company; SodaStream.  They had moved their plant OUT of Israeli-occupied land because they disagreed with Israel occupying Palestinian lands (a move they said was actually counterproductive as they were forced to release many Palestinian workers in the process).  Recently, they were forced to let go of their remaining Palestinian workers because the Israeli government is not renewing their work permits.  You can read the article on this here.

That's right, an Israeli, Jewish-owned company is fighting to help Palestinians.  As a muslim, I was always taught that we should live our life by the Quran.  Well, here are some verses that encourage peace among races and oppose racism;


وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِّلْعَالِمِينَ
"Among his signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors.  Verily, in that are signs for people of knowledge." - Surat Ar-Rum 30:22



يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ إِنَّا خَلَقْنَاكُم مِّن ذَكَرٍ وَأُنثَىٰ وَجَعَلْنَاكُمْ شُعُوبًا وَقَبَائِلَ لِتَعَارَفُوا إِنَّ أَكْرَمَكُمْ عِندَ اللَّهِ أَتْقَاكُمْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَلِيمٌ خَبِيرٌ
"O people, We have created you male and female and made you nations and tribes that you may know one another.  Verily, the most noble of you to Allah is the most righteous of you.  Verily, Allah is knowing and aware." - Surat Al-Hujurat 49:13


The second verse in particular I find interesting.  Humans are curious creatures.  In our pursuit of knowledge, we have learned to touch the stars.  As such, God made us into various races such that we will be curious and learn about one another, thereby encouraging both friendship as well as the pursuit of knowledge.  At least, that's how I interpret it.

Do not mistake me as a pious or knowledgeable muslim, I merely despise seeing blind hatred of a race, and have a good internet connection through which I am able to do some googling, and look up these verses.  A lot of my opinions voiced here are mine and mine alone; they may not reflect those of whom are much more learned than I am.

If you've made it this far, thank you for reading.  I hope you have found this article at least slightly insightful.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sneakers & Sandals

Dreaming of Edward Cullen, Girls?

Hari Raya Eid il Adha